Travelling is always an exciting time, but how do you ensure your home is safe and secure while you enjoy a vacation away? You can do several things to prevent break-ins and decrease the risk of damage.
Consider this checklist next time you travel:
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed and locked, and double-check the basement and garage doors.
- Timers for your lights are another solid investment. Install the timers indoors and outdoors. Set the on and off times to the natural rhythm of when your home lights would typically be on. Setting them to be on 24 hours daily is a clear sign something is a miss.
- Securely lock up and put away all your valuables, such as jewellery, cash or other sentimental items. Avoid leaving valuables out in plain sights, such as near a window.
- Never leave spare keys hidden around your property. Contact a trusted friend or neighbour to hold onto any extra keys while you are away in case of an emergency.
- While you are at it, get that trusted friend or neighbour to check on your home while you are away. They can ensure that your house is still in one piece throughout your vacation, preventing frozen pipes, water damage and bringing your mail inside. Doing so will also give off the impression that someone is home. In winter, hire a company or friend to clear your snow, so it looks inhabited. Plus, it saves you the headache of shovelling when you return.
- If you haven’t already, install an alarm system and security cameras. You can check on your home via your cell phone and alert your trusted person to anything amiss. Doorbell cameras are another excellent investment; alerts can be sent to your phone when people approach.
- Shut off the water and unplug unused electronics if you go away for extended periods.
- Check your fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors before you leave. Replace the batteries and ensure they are in good working order.
- As exciting as going away is, avoid posting about it on social media until you return. You do not want to alert the public that your home is unattended.
Use this checklist to plan the security of your home and give yourself a piece of mind while you are gone on vacation.
If you are looking for a home (to be away from), contact your local REALTOR® today!